Japanese MotoGP became the latest race to be cancelled on Monday in the wake of coronavirus pandemic that has wreaked havoc across the world.
The race at the iconic Twin Ring Motegi circuit, which was supposed to be held between October 16-18, joins a long list of races to be officially called off looking at the virus threat. The circuit has been on the MotoGP roster since 1999 and will now be hosted next season.
"It is with great sadness that we announce the cancellation of the Motul Grand Prix of Japan at the very unique Motegi circuit, meaning we will not have a Japanese Grand Prix on the calendar for the first time since 1986," Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna Sports said in an official statement.
"The MotoGP family is working very hard to be able to re-start the racing season and hold as many events as possible, and in the safest way possible."
Last week, the British and Australian MotoGPs were also called off, joining Netherlands, Finland and Germany as the venues where races which won't be held this year. .
"Mobilityland has been preparing for this year's MotoGP Japanese Grand Prix, however the situations in Japan and Europe are unpredictable and the extension of the international travel ban is expected," Kaoru Tanaka, President of Mobilityland Corporation said.
"As a result of our discussions with Dorna, the managerial body of the series, we agreed that we have no choice but to cancel the Japanese GP in order to complete the season."